References – Learn More About Feline Nutrition
- CatNutrition.org – The website that originally motivated us to switch our cats to a home-made raw diet.
- Dr. Lisa Pierson – A veterinarian has taken the time to prepare this website with a lot of valuable information about how to feed your cat properly. Includes information on raw diets and recommended canned commercial foods. Dr. Pierson also offers telephone consultations especially regarding diet plans for felines.
- Holisticat’s Kitty Kitchen – several time-tested recipes to try, all balanced and complete.
- Mousabilities’ Compilation of research papers connecting commercial pet food with many types of illness and death in cats and dogs (these are in addition to the risk of contamination/poisoning)
- Feline Nutrition Education Society – lots of good information here, with articles and blogs.
- Deconstructing the Regulatory Façade: Why Confused Consumers Feed their Pets Ring Dings and Krispy Kremes by Justine S. Patrick 2006 Harvard Law School.
- Feline Nutrition – An excellent and well-referenced article on feline nutrition. Learn about why cats have difficulty digesting carbohydrates and how different their metabolism and digestion is from omnivorous mammals.
- The Carnivore Connection in Cats. JAVMA 221:11 Nov 2002. A scientific journal article on the nutritional requirements of cats. Includes nutritional analysis of a raw rat carcass and some cat foods.
- Use of a raw meat-based diet or a dry kibble diet for sand cats (Felis margarita) J Anim Sci 1997. 75:2154-2160. A scientific journal article in which a kibble diet is compared to a raw meat diet for Sand Cats (small wild cats closely related to domestic cats). The article concludes that “Our results indicate that kibble diets may not be as digestible as raw meat-based diets fed to small exotic cats.”
- Nutrient digestibility and fecal characteristics are different among captive exotic felids fed a beef-based raw diet. Zoo Biology
Volume 27 Issue 2, Pages 126 – 136. A scientific journal article examining the digestibility of a raw meat diet for exotic cats.